Meg Crawford Visits RHS Environmental Club

What is the Environmental Club up to these days?

On Thursday October 25th, the Rhinebeck High School Environmental Club sponsored a lecture by community member, Meg Crawford. A horticulturist and landscape designer, Crawford, has owned a plant nursery, entitled Twin Ponds, in Rhinebeck since 1992. She has been running a flower farm on the site for the last two years.  All of her plants are grown organically.

Meg Crawford, Rhinebeck Village Tree Commissioner and owner of Twin Ponds Nursery.

Crawford has been on the board of  Wilderstein Preservation since 1991, acting as the chair of the landscape committee. She has also served as chair of the Town Conservation Advisory Board and is currently chair of the Rhinebeck Village Tree Commission. While on the Tree Commission, she helped write the Tree Ordinance for the Village of Rhinebeck, which was made to establish and maintain the maximum amount of tree cover on public and private land.

With this background, it was no wonder that she was greeted by twenty smiling Rhinebeck students when she came to deliver her presentation called The Importance of Trees.

She taught students about local trees, the problems facing them, and what we as students can do to help. These trees are feeling the harsh effects of climate change, so much so, that some native trees can no longer live in the area.  But she did mention several opportunities for students interested in supporting trees: The town tree planting on November 3rd, as well as Landscaping Day at Wilderstein on November 10th.  

Students can also help by reporting any dying or threatened trees to the NY Department of Environmental Conservation or through community service efforts.

Crawford also guided students on tree planting in general, such as the necessary amount of water and space needed to grow any type of tree.  Discussion during her visit even led to the idea of starting a tree nursery on school grounds. 

The Environmental Club is thankful for getting to listen to Meg Crawford speak and excited to see what will come of this experience. 

Kellianne Ticcony is the current President of the RHS Environmental Club.