We Need a Break!!

Sarah Anne Szabo

Colin Reichelt, Senior, mourns the loss of five-minute fresh air breaks between second and third periods.

Mask breaks came to a halt the week of October 22, 2021. 

After several schedule changes due to Covid-19, the concept of a “mask break” was introduced to students which gave them an opportunity to safely take off their masks outside between periods two and three. 

This five minute break allowed students to connect, social distance, and see each other without a face covering. It also gave students a chance to breathe before continuing onto the rest of their day.

From students point of view, mask breaks stopped abruptly without school-wide comment or explanation as to why from Mr. Davenport. 

After speaking with several students and teachers, it is clear that many members of our school community feel that mask breaks are a vital part of our day. 

“Mask breaks were nice because it split up the period between my Biology class and lab period. It is frustrating that we do not have a rationale as to why they took them away,” Greta LeHane, junior, said. 

Other students commented that even without the built-in mask break, some teachers allow their students to step outside before class begins. 

In an interview, Davenport commented that the decision to remove mask breaks “is not set in stone.” 

His concern is that the five minute rest takes away too much class time from third period. Also, the lack of monitoring in the hallways causes students to roam freely instead of going to their designated location outside. 

His solution to the end of the scheduled mask breaks is allowing students to take a break at their own discretion with consent from their teacher.

Leaving breaks up to student discretion grants students with the ability to leave class when they feel it is necessary. 

With this solution in place, more issues arise. 

Sarah Wheeler, RHS English teacher, acknowledged the logistical issues of the mask break, but still believes that they should be a part of our day. 

“Some teachers might be more willing to allow students to take individual breaks than others,” Wheeler said. 

She senses that leaving mask breaks up to teacher discretion could cause constant interruptions in class. Also, some teachers might allow students to miss class time, while others won’t. 

Mask breaks are important to our mental and physical comfort. 

Increasing supervision through hiring more aids can be a solution to the issues with mask breaks. Another resolution could be to have the teachers of second period take attendance while their class is outside; this would ensure that no one is lingering around the hallways. 

With communication between students and faculty, a solution can be found. 

Make your voice heard at the next student council meeting or town hall.