Students are often found gazing towards the clock awaiting the end of the period. With the proposed schedule, theyll have to wait 13 more minutes for the anticipated minute.
Students are often found gazing towards the clock awaiting the end of the period. With the proposed schedule, they’ll have to wait 13 more minutes for the anticipated minute.
Joslan Carter

Students Express Concerns About RHS’ Plans to Change the Schedule

Intro

If you haven’t heard, Rhinebeck High School is working on creating a new schedule for the 2024-2025 school year.

The proposed schedule will consist of five 54-minute classes and a 53-minute Community Lunch rotating on an 8-day schedule. Students will continue to have the opportunity to take up to 8 classes per year, but with this schedule daily classes (like math, science, history, and english) will meet 6 times out of the 8-day rotation. On the other hand, classes that typically meet every other letter-day (such as Band, Chorus, and Gym), will meet only 3 days out of the 8 day cycle. 

There are a lot of moving parts around this topic, so what do students have to say about it?

Claire Frischknecht
Claire Frischknecht

“Personally I feel like I’d be excited about it at first, but after like a week I’d get bored of it. I can barely pay attention for 40 minutes of class, but 50 something? No.”

“I also like having the core classes every day, [having them] only 6 out of the 8 days would be disappointing, and in general it just looks really confusing.”

Abby Roger
Abby Roger

“I hate this schedule. I see absolutely no positives in [it]. I completely disagree with us not having classes every day. Core classes need to be every day especially ones like Language and Math which are based heavily upon repetition.”

“The schedule will be very hard to understand, and to remember. When classes are that long, people tend to lose focus and it will lead to poor performance in grades. I find it completely irresponsible that in the making of this schedule there was no student input.”

“I think people’s mental health will really suffer from this schedule. Extra help periods and Band/Chorus lessons will be hard to fit in with this new schedule, and they are essential to a good school experience.”

Sadie Traudt
Sadie Traudt

“I kinda just like how it is already, I don’t really think there’s a need for a new schedule, but I guess it would kind of be nice to be with your friends everyday for lunch.”

“Also, I like having more classes consistently, so I like having everything bunched together more [instead of rotating].”

Annika Haile
Annika Haile

“I think it sounds really nice to have longer class periods despite not meeting every day because it can give you more time to let everything sink in. I think it’s fine to meet less often as long as it’s for a longer amount each time.” 

“I feel like people would appreciate each class a little bit more if it was longer and I think that there would be more time for actual comprehension and everything to get into the zone and actually learn instead of having to just memorize stuff.”

“I think the Community Lunch would be very chaotic but very fun and good for students. I think people would be able to try without being worried about the bells and not knowing what’s going on and stuff. I think Community Lunch and longer periods would create more community. You would feel less rushed. A negative would be people who get school lunch being held up, but I’m sure it could be figured out.”

Jada Smith
Jada Smith

“I prefer the old schedule.” 

“I do like how lunch is earlier, but I don’t like how it’s longer periods.” 

“The 54-minute classes are going to feel like 2 hours at the end of the year!”

Jayden Pastran
Jayden Pastran

“It’s very confusing, and I feel like a lot of the freshmen will also feel very confused and will have difficulty finding their classes. It’ll increase stress, and I feel like people … still leave early with the schedule we have anyway. It’s very complicated for no reason.” 

“A positive is that there’s community lunch and I, and others, will get to see some of my/their friends and have more time to get help from teachers, but other than that there aren’t many positives.”

“Community Lunch is going to be packed with people, so it’ll take much longer to get lunch and be an inconvenience to staff and students. In addition, [the proposed schedule] may increase teacher’s difficulty with remembering names and their planning (because it’ll be more difficult to plan with everything moving).”

Jeremiah Boyd
Jeremiah Boyd

“There’s no need to over complicate things, it’s fine as it is.”

Ezra Steinman
Ezra Steinman

“I think that teachers would benefit from the increased class time, because I often feel like the 41 minutes isn’t enough time to cover the material.”

Ayden Su
Ayden Su

“I think it actually sounds pretty interesting so far, and I like the concept.” 

“… I do think it could make it a little bit confusing, once you get used to it though I think it would make everything feel a little bit less repetitive and more tolerating.”

“I like the variety of the days so all the days don’t feel exactly the same. It could be a little hard to wrap your head around the first couple of days, but other than that I really like it, it sounds fun.”

Genevieve Wahlgren
Genevieve Wahlgren

“I like the current schedule because the classes are very reliable, and I like to go to all of my classes each day and go to electives, like band, every other day, whereas with the new schedule we would only meet three times out of the eight days.”

“I think the new schedule will be difficult for students to get used to because none of the class times will be consistent. I don’t see any positives to the schedule change.”

Trayse Kasnia-Herman
Trayse Kasnia-Herman

“Don’t do this in my Senior year. It is so bad. I think this is a terrible decision which will result in bad things. No positives.”

“The way that our current schedule works is better, the time management is fine, there’s no need to change it.”

“An extra 15 minutes of eating doesn’t change anything.”

Laila Alam
Laila Alam

“I think the idea of everyone having a lunch is fantastic, and I think it’s great that they are including time for kids to [use] unstructured time to have the opportunity to do stuff, like make up tests or ask for help. However, I think making students max out at 8 classes instead of 9 would mess with a lot of students’ schedules. … It would create a disadvantage for kids who were planning on taking more classes 11th and 12th grade. I took two AP sciences in my 11th grade year, but I had every day filled, so I wouldn’t have been able to do that [with this schedule] but I had planned on doing that as a freshman. If you’re thinking in that way, it could definitely create some problems. I feel like it would be better to … tell the incoming freshman class that it’s going to be implemented and then wait the three years until their senior year where everyone else would also know what’s happening.”

“I would assume it would make it much harder to fit all the other classes in (such as labs and study halls). I think that it’s very messy – the 8-day rotating schedule. I could see it making sense if it was 10 days, but 8 days all being different? I suppose that could help some kids who like having the change of pace, but personally I like going to school and knowing what to expect and what’s after what, … I just think it would be very messy – kids not knowing what class to go to first, having to check it out, rather than just ABCD, would be a lot to keep track of.” 

“I definitely think that the Community Lunch aspect of it is a really great positive, I just don’t think that this is the best way to go about it. I’d definitely be interested in knowing the other motivations.”

“I think that [the rotating study hall in order to have rotating early dismissal and late arrival] is probably a positive, though I think some kids that have that every day would be upset at having that no longer be a possibility [every day] if that was something you wanted. A lot of kids do have it, and that would just take away the ability to have every day late arrival or every day early dismissal if that was something that you really have your heart set on, and I know some kids do.”

“[The 54-minute periods] is quite long, but we did see that successfully happen during COVID, though I personally was very exhausted by that. If you do have a double period, like Regents Chem and then Chem Lab, that would be two hours straight of the same class. That I think would be rough.”

Rose Wheeler
Rose Wheeler

“So, I like the Community Lunch because[,] like having lunch 8th period sucks, but I don’t like the longer periods because it’s so much longer to pay attention. 

“[And] I like having math every day because I feel like I’m going to forget everything if I don’t have it every day.”

Elliot VanSteenburg
Elliot VanSteenburg

“A problem I have is being able to keep track of it[.] I like having … certain classes with friends and I like seeing them everyday. The lunch period would feel hectic, the line for the lunch is going to feel so long.”

“I do like the potential of spread out homework and test dates[, but] I don’t like that lunch is technically the shortest period. This is very confusing.”

“[In addition,] some people use an app online to keep track of the schedules, but it doesn’t have E, F, G, and H, as an option.”

Gigi Oleszewski
Gigi Oleszewski

“I can’t sit still for that long. For classes you don’t like you’re waiting till the end of the period anyway. … I don’t want to spend any longer in each class than we already do.” 

“I like Community Lunch, it’s cool, but not worth it.”

“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”

E Jeffreys
E Jeffreys

“I think what’s good about switching around your lunch or not having lunch is that you can sort of customize who you’re hanging around. Like I’ve had to transfer out of lunches/study halls, and I feel like that would be harder if you had Community Lunch. … [And] I wouldn’t be able to leave for lunch every day [because the time for the class where I leave would be rotating].”

“Also, if the middle school isn’t rotating, then I wouldn’t be able to go to the Chorus room all the time [because there would be middle schoolers in there]. For students who value the music hall, it completely takes away their ability to do it.”

“Classes would be way too long, people like the fact that they have 41 minute classes. … Kids already have struggles paying attention for 41 minutes, imagine dealing with that for 54? For friends I’ve had that would leave for 20 minutes of the class because they can’t handle 41 minutes, this would be much worse.”

“It takes away your free time. If I want to be able to go to the guidance office, like seniors who need to schedule for college, you can’t wait that long. And if [this is] a change to the high school schedule it should also change the middle school.”

Alison Stephan
Alison Stephan

“I just think it’s really confusing.”

“I don’t understand the 8-day thing.”

Henry Cavanaugh
Henry Cavanaugh

“I think it’s just complicated, so no.” 

“The only upside to that is a little longer lunch, but I need gym every other day, at least.”

Josie Rourke
Josie Rourke

“The idea of a Community Lunch everyday in theory sounds amazing, but it might get a little hectic, and how would we fit everyone in either the cafeteria or in all the different classrooms? I think that’s my main concern.”

“I will say though I think it’ll be beneficial to have longer periods because there are times where you aren’t able to finish everything in a period and then you run out of time and it feels rushed, so I think it’ll be beneficial to have the longer periods.”

Luca Andries
Luca Andries

“I don’t think the schedule change will do anything academically [positive] for the students.” 

“[Also,] the way the time works right now is … fine, it’s very manageable.”

There are definitely a lot of different opinions surrounding this topic, and we appreciate everyone that contributed their voice to this conversation. Stay tuned for more information about the schedule change from Rhinebeck Reality, and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!