The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rock Instruments Allows Students to Make Music Their Way

Joslan Carter
What’s your first period class? Wouldn’t you rather be playing a song in Mr. Conroy’s Rock Instruments Elective?

Rock Instruments, a new course at Rhinebeck High School, allows students to learn a number of instruments, create small groups, and play everything from pop to rock to folk music. 

Created by Mr. Conroy from the observation that many students were interested in these types of instruments, this new course opens a lot of opportunities. Whether someone has been playing for most of their lives or is just starting out, Mr. Conroy feels that providing this space to experiment and further one’s skills is super important.

Students get basics for piano and guitar, foundational skills (like chords, music theory, etc.), and have been learning some history on the rock genre. Did you know that blues music was actually the foundation for rock music’s development?

Students create small groups similar to rock bands, and play songs of their choice. Perhaps with Rock Instruments we have a new bugmeat (now flower lung) in the making, the band that took our school by storm (which 2023 graduate Noah Bancroft was a member of). 

“It’s a really fun way to start the day,” a student shared.

The concentration and care that these students are putting into their music really shows. 

“There’s lots of musical and artistic talent in Rhinebeck, and I think it’s worthwhile for students who are interested in music and art and creative hobbies to take advantage of those opportunities in the school,” Mr. Conroy said.