The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

The Third Thursday Lunch: A Wonderful Environment and a Good Cause

The Third Thursday Lunch is a nonprofit luncheon that occurs on the third Thursday of every month, as is made evident by its name. It is located at the Church of the Messiah in Rhinebeck, and is run by Chris Perry and a group of volunteers.

Its most recent lunch was held on Thursday, December 21st.

The lunch always hosts a charity, in which all donations made at the lunch go to the charity. Mel’s Place is the newest chosen charity.

Mel’s Place is a shelter for people experiencing homelessness located in Poughkeepsie. They serve all ages, from 18 year olds to people in their mid 80s.

Mel’s Place is a nonprofit organization, and relies completely on donations. 

Sadly, Mel’s Place has been forced to turn away people. It is currently at its capacity for people, with 125-200 people staying there. 

Most of the ≈30 people who attended the luncheon were the elderly, which makes sense. The lunch starts at 11:30 on a Thursday, when most people are either working or in school.

Volunteers such as Chris Perry at the lunch made sure that people were well fed. There were many different options of soups and sandwiches. You could choose between tomato and split pea soup, and turkey, ham and cheese, egg salad, and tuna sandwiches. And that’s not even beginning to mention the wonderful spread of desserts.

The leftovers of the delicious food served do not go to waste, either. They are sent to a homeless shelter in Poughkeepsie, and provide a good meal.

Since it was the Christmas season, the volunteers at the Third Thursday Lunch had another surprise in store.

On many seats, stickers shaped like stars were stuck to the base. If your seat had a sticker, two volunteers would come over to you pushing a cart. From there, you would be allowed to pick a gift from the cart. There was everything from jelly beans to napkins to earrings.

The atmosphere at the luncheon is so cheery and wonderful. When you go, you know that you are supporting a good cause, surrounded by good people. 

You don’t need to be in need to go; if you are food secure, you can make a donation at the gate to support the lunch. If you are, the lunch goers welcome you with open arms.

There are people everywhere who need help. Just because you don’t think you see someone who is homeless doesn’t mean that they don’t exist.

If you or someone you know is experiencing homelessness, Mel’s Place is located at 29 N Hamilton St # 210, Poughkeepsie, NY. If you are a teen or child experiencing homelessness, River Haven Youth Shelter is the closest youth shelter, located at 99 Thompson St, Poughkeepsie, NY.

In short, the Third Thursday Lunch is an amazing fundraiser, run by wonderful people in a great environment. Go to the luncheon on its next date, January 18, and show your support!