The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Meatless March Expands Rhinebeck’s Menu 

Adrian Jensen
Fresh veggies on the menu at RHS.

This week, Rhinebeck High School Cafeteria began “Meatless March.” Students questioned the decision, fearing no good forms of protein would be available. 

“Spring athletes are concerned about not getting adequate protein in their diets,” said Sophomore Izzie Carpenter, Varsity crew. 

While vegetarian options are presented as the star of the show, meat choices are still offered for students if requested. 

This initiative, put in place by Food Director Larry Anthony, may surprise doubters of plant-based food. Vegetarian chicken nuggets and vegan meat in tacos are some protein-rich examples. They are also featuring new sides, such as fried plantains. 

According to Anthony, customers have been interested in these choices. His end goal is to expand the menu to feature these foods more frequently. 

New additions to the menu are a little pricier, but very worth it due to the health benefits and positive factors for the environment. 

According to a study published by Nature Food, an online research journal, if people swap red or processed meats for plant proteins, there are many health benefits, and it helps reduce their carbon footprint.

Food journalist Allison Aubery claims that instead of eating beef four times a week, two times would have a great effect. 

“It will shrink your carbon footprint by 25% and may also boost longevity,” said Aubery. 

According to Nature Food, if people in the U.S. swapped beef for beans, this switch could get the U.S. almost halfway to its greenhouse gas reduction goals. 

Additionally, instead of store-bought leafy greens, Rhinebeck is using its own environmentally friendly sources for their salads. 

Hydroponic lettuce, another recent sustainable addition to the menu, is grown in the Innovation Hub at Rhinebeck High School. These machines provide everything needed to grow the lettuce without the use of toxic chemicals. 

“Meatless March” is not actually meatless — and, it’s promoting new foods for the health benefits of students.