The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

New Four-Way Stop Help Limits Danger

Rose Wheeler
Students are given protection with new four-way stop.

After two traffic accidents this year near or on school grounds, the village of Rhinebeck made the decision to add a four-way stop to the dangerous intersection at South Street and South Parsonage. 

“The [stop] signs will greatly improve safety for drivers and pedestrians at this busy spot,” said Mayor Gary Bassett.

When too many parents drive at the same time to drop off their kids, the streets become packed. In the morning, from about 7:45 am to 8:00 am, a long line of cars forms causing dangerous conditions for kids walking or biking to school. 

The newly implemented four-way stop will cut down on accidents with kids and oncoming cars, but another solution to this problem is for students to take the bus. Compared to the cars, underloaded buses arrive safely and sit in the bus lane right in front of the school by 7:45 am, allowing kids to get to first period with time to spare. 

According to a notice sent to district families by Albert Cousins, taking the bus is a good way to tackle the traffic problem. 

We encourage families to consider bus transportation in an effort to reduce overall traffic in the areas around the schools,”said Cousins.  

If more kids rode the school bus, it would make the roads around the school safer. More students taking the bus would not only cut down on traffic during drop off time but it would also cut down on carbon emissions.