The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Students Dodge for Donuts to Rebuild Mini Park

Dodgeball+referees+Maya+Quon+and+Malcolm+Stewart+
June Nathan
Dodgeball referees Maya Quon and Malcolm Stewart

On Friday, April 19th, Rhinebeck’s Interact Club hosted its first Dodgeball tournament since 2016 in the Rhinebeck High School Gym. The event was planned entirely by the Interact Club’s student members, with help of course from two of the most prominent club advisors David Ping and Dana Page.

The club sent out an Instagram infographic two weeks before the event to rally viewers and players ages 11+. As club Presidents, it was Olivia Pulver and my personal decision to open up the invite to other schools in the area. While no one came from Rhinebeck’s sister town Red Hook, a team of 6 senior boys from Onteora made the trek over the river to play ball. Unfortunately they did not have a winning team, but it was highly enjoyable to see some new faces on the court.

In total, nine teams of six signed up online and at the door. Viewers and players had to pay a $5 entry fee. With the addition of desserts, drinks, and pizza, the club raised about $500 that night, which will be donated to the Rhinebeck Lions Club as they work to rebuild the mini park next to the high school.

No dodgeball tournament is complete without refs. Malcolm Stewart and Maya Quon showed up in classic striped referee attire, ready to provide colorful commentary on the match.

The final battle came down to two RHS student-led teams: “Drew Patels team” and “Big Slim Jim 14”. The first round was dominated by Slim Jim, but both teams insisted on a rematch, and Sawyer Giles, member of Interact Fundraising Committee and son to RHS’s legendary “Mama G” (Mrs. Giles), was able to dominate the 1v1 between him and Calvin Steele.

What was the grand prize you may ask? An east coast classic of course: one dozen Dunkin Donuts.

In the words of club co-president Olivia Pulver, “We hope that in the future this event will continue on more often and we are so happy with the turnout!”