The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Speed (1994) review

The film Speed is an action classic. The film itself isn’t the most groundbreaking film based on techniques alone but the film is great and the story is gripping. The plot follows L.A. cop Jack Traven, played by Keneau Reeves as he tries to save the city from an evil bomber, terrifying Dennis Hopper. The main plot point takes place on a city bus. The bomber put a bomb on the bus that is activated once the bus goes 50 mph and once the bus goes under 50 mph it blows up. Jack Traven and passenger Annie, Sandra Bullock, try their best to navigate the bus through the streets while saving all the passengers.

Dennis hopper has a naturally creepy appearance and voice which makes him the perfect villain. Keneau Reeves brings a sensitive and calm side to the hero cop stereotype. Unlike, for example, in Die Hard, Bruce Willis is witty and he doesn’t really have a weak side to him. Jack Traven on the other hand is nice and he obviously cares about the passengers and keeping them calm. Sandra Bullock plays Annie wonderfully, adding a bit of humor and romance to an otherwise action packed film.

There are a few unrealistic moments in the storyline, but the film keeps you engaged in the story and the characters. According to Roger Ebert, “Speed is like an ingenious windup machine.” The score of the movie is glorious and adds even more suspense to the already insane chase scenes. Director Jan de Bont engages viewers, not just with the plot itself and the problems they face but with fast cuts and dramatic switches in mood. I would give this film and 8 out of 10 stars.