The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Godzilla: Minus 1

Godzilla: Minus 1

Godzilla: Minus 1 is a Japanese film that follows a Japanese man named Kamiki Ryunosuke. He was a pilot repairing his plane during WW2 when Godzilla came from the water and killed everyone except him. Years later Kamiki heads to the city with his wife when Godzilla attacks agin, killing many people including his wife.  He goes home to his child and assembles a team of scientists to stop Godzilla. The movie ends in an intense scene of the people using many boats and a plane to take down Godzilla. When parts of the plan fail the characters have to improvise to stop Godzilla. I watched this movie in theaters with subtitles on and I really enjoyed it even if it wasn’t in English. The characters are very likable and you want them to survive in the end because they feel real and not like a perfect person in a movie – they all have problems with their families or have some type of trauma from the war or their childhood. The humorous parts in this movie are mostly one liners that make you laugh, and then you go back right into the plot. The CGI they used for Godzilla was done so it looked like the older Godzilla movies (with the people in the costumes) but it looked very realistic. You can go into this film not knowing much about Godzilla and still have a good time. Overall the movie was really good and I give it a 9/10.