The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

The Hunt (2012) Review

What happens when a seemingly harmless lie spirals out of control? This is what occurs in The Hunt, a Danish film from 2012 directed by Thomas Vinterberg. After he accidentally upsets a student at his kindergarten, Lucas (Mads Mikkelsen) is accused of exposing himself to said student. The young girl’s slip of the tongue causes the entire small, tight knit Danish community to turn on Lucas, despite his innocence.

The Hunt’s strength is in its storytelling. While the viewer knows of Lucas’ innocence, they are forced to watch as his life progressively worsens; his is unable to catch a break from the wrath of the community. Lucas’ old friends believe solely in the young girl’s story, because there is no evidence against her, and Lucas and his family are quickly ostracized from the community.

The Hunt is a well-made film and is acted beautifully, although it’s not necessarily enjoyable. It is an uncomfortable watch, filled with tension. It’s not a must-watch – and I fear that the film’s main focus of how false allegations may ruin people’s lives is not a message that is needed in today’s climate. I don’t disagree with that concept – but at the same time the irony of the film almost justifies the actions of the characters against Lucas. 

Also (no spoilers) – the ending feels very out of place. It’s symbolic of how the events of the film will follow Lucas forever, but the delivery was very inconsistent with the realistic style of the film up to that point. I think what the ending conveyed would have been more impactful if it was done differently. or honestly if it was forgone all together.

I would rate this film an 8/10 for its story and acting. I would warn potential viewers that while no sexual assault appears on-screen, Lucas and other characters are violently beaten on multiple occasions.