The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Moose on the Loose at RHS

Maya Quon-Youle

What could be more bizarre than a family of skunks walking across the baseball fields? A horse? A man in a big fur suit? Try a moose! 

Alexander Binnie had the first sighting of the moose in his period 3 DCC English course. He tapped his friend Sofia Guerra on the shoulder and said, “What is that thing?!” 

To the class’s surprise, it was a moose! The entire class was stunned as they watched this huge animal lumber across the school’s baseball field seemingly unbothered. 

Other students ran into Sarah Wheeler’s room to catch a look at the animal. 

“My first moose!” said Maya Quon. 

Spencer Firestone, having had some experience with wildlife, remarked that this moose was likely a young one, and its size wasn’t anything out of the ordinary for the species. 

“I thought it was a horse,” said Binnie. 

The DCC class watched as an Environmental Science class ran outside to catch a look at the Moose prints left in the sand. Mr. Burg went out to take a look as well.

“I was going to go and lasso it!” said Burg. 

Outside sources say that this moose could be on the run, displaced from wildfires to our north. 

Luke Butler found an article from the day the moose was spotted saying that it was first sighted in Hyde Park walking on someone’s front lawn. 

The moose soon disappeared into the woods behind the baseball field. 

We hope the Moose had a fun time at Rhinebeck and that it soaked up some Hawk spirit before venturing forth.  Check out the reenactment in the video below.