The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

A New Grading Policy at RHS

Will an adjustment to grade percentages make a difference?

Students at Rhinebeck High School may have noticed a change in how grades are calculated this year. Some teachers mentioned a new high school policy when they introduced their syllabus, leaving you with questions:

Where is this new grading system coming from? Why does it seem to vary from class to class? And will it impact your GPA, and if so, how?

The school administration has recommended that classes shift towards an updated grading system consisting of three main components:

formative assessments, accounting for 60% of the total grade; summative assessments, making up 30% of the total grade; and behaviors, contributing 10% to the total grade. 

While the specific breakdown will vary slightly from class to class and teacher to teacher, formative assessments typically include major tests and significant projects, while summative assessments encompass quizzes, smaller projects, and classwork. 

The behavior section remains relatively consistent across courses, including homework and class participation, placing a cap on how much a student’s conduct in class and outside of school dedication to the subject factors into their grade.

Principal Davenport explained these grading modifications in a Canvas announcement to all students and in a separate email to parents during the second week of school. 

He clarified that the new grading system “does not mean that traditional tests and quizzes would count for 10% more of a grade,” dispelling concerns that the policy would place greater emphasis on testing. 

Davenport also emphasized that the weight given to examinations in the grading process this year will change very little:

“I have asked teachers to develop other assessments (not tests and quizzes) to measure student understanding, such as projects or presentations or other creative work”

These other types of assessments would fill the gap left by the 10% devaluation of homework and class participation. 

Look for upcoming articles with key interviews with administration, faculty, and students, to learn more about Rhinebeck High School’s grading policies, the district’s future plans for grading, and what it means for you.