RHS Senior Plans… As of Now

Mr.+Pallazolo+remarked%2C+The+acceptance+rate+to+competitive+colleges+this+year+has+been+impressive%21+

Ms. Wheeler

Mr. Pallazolo remarked, “The acceptance rate to competitive colleges this year has been impressive!”

“I don’t know!  Stop asking!!”- Roy Cooley

College is talked about on the daily: casual discussions with my classmates, planning campus tours with my parents and researching schools in College and Careers. From SAT/ACT scores, financial aid, potential scholarships, hearing back from the schools you applied to, no wonder why Seniors are so tired of hearing about it. Being constantly reminded about what one wants to do with their life after college is extremely stressful but is also exciting at the same time.  

“I’m going to Smith College to study education, and I’m really excited for the new experience.” —-Monica Martinez
“I will be attending RPI this fall for Mechanical Engineering” – Jack Dykeman
“I’ve been accepted to the University of Vermont’s Neuroscience program, and I’m really excited.” —Oliver Dorfner

When it comes to seeking higher education, it’s not cheap these days. According to the College board website, between the years 2008-9 and 2018-19 the “average published tuition and fee prices rose by $930 at public two-year colleges, $2,670 at public four-year institutions, and by $7,390 at private nonprofit four-year colleges and universities.”  

So the decision is weighty one.

Ms. Wheeler asked some of her senior students about their after High School plans. Some students have already chosen where they want to go and what they want to study. Erin Duke plans on going to Columbia Greene Community College to study Meteorology and play Softball.  Axel Lucas-Garcia will join “the DCC gang.” Emma Clegg plans on studying biology at Elmira College, and Ethan Viator is considering studying biological sciences at Louisiana State University. Laura Antonio knows she wants to pursue a career in Social Work, but isn’t sure of the path quite yet.  

Other students plan on going to college but are unsure about where they want to go.  

On that day, May 1st, when all the seniors wear their school’s apparel arrives, maybe that’s when they will be more excited and less stressed about college.