Rhinebeck Alumni: Where Are They Now?

Lilly Oyen-Ustad is an RHS alumna currently attending Bryn Mawr. She will be graduating in May, and from there plans to attend dental school.

Lilly at the Commencement of her Final Year at Bryn Mawr College

During the inaugural year of Rhinebeck’s Varsity Girls’ Swim Team, Lilly Oyen-Ustad was a sophomore, and I was in seventh grade.  I remember feeling intimidated by her height, speed, and nonchalant nature. We continued swimming together, and she’s been one of my good friends and greatest role models ever since. Lilly graduated from RHS in 2015.

Reflecting upon her time at Rhinebeck outside of the pool, Lilly describes AP Biology and AP World History as some of the most influential classes she took at Rhinebeck. “Ms. Christie and Mr. Boucher taught me that with enough hard work, you can succeed in a class.” She explains that this has helped her immeasurably at Bryn Mawr College, her current institution.

Lilly is double majoring in biology and history, and minoring in health studies with a concentration in gender and sexuality studies. “I was very intrigued by the biology faculty at Bryn Mawr and interested in the different networks of support and the different opportunities [they] offered me,” Lilly says, articulating why she chose to attend BMC.

These opportunities that Lilly attributes to Bryn Mawr include the chance to participate in student council, compete in Division III athletics, conduct undergraduate research, work as a TA, and of course double major.

While she came to college knowing she wanted to be a bio major, history later followed for Lilly. “It’s a hobby that I was lucky enough to pursue as a full-time major,” she explains. “But at the end of the day, I want to be a dentist.”

And with her May graduation fast approaching, Lilly’s current plans involve interviewing at dental schools across the country. She says it’s going well, but the process is tough.

Looking back, Lilly cites Mr. Heywood as one of her favorite RHS faculty members, as well as her swim coach Mr. Aierstok.

Pullquote Photo

Ms. Christie and Mr. Boucher taught me that with enough hard work, you can succeed in a class.

— Lilly Oyen-Ustad

One thing Lilly learned from her Rhinebeck teachers is to never be afraid to ask people for help, and she advises current RHS students to “just get out of your comfort zone. Rhinebeck is a small town where everyone knows everyone, but you can’t let fear of the unknown hold you back.”