The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Inglourious Basterds

Inglourious+Basterds

Quentin Tarantino is one of the most distinguishable directors in film history. “Inglourious Basterds” Mr. Tarantino’s sixth film sets the screen on fire with its comedical twist on history and powerful characters. Sgt. Donny Donowitz a.k.a “The Bear Jew” played by Eli Roth is a perfect example, an underdog of WW2 world who carries a baseball bat and hunts Nazis. His pivotal role in the film is most notably recognized by his famous statement, “Each and every man under my command owes me one hundred Nazi scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y’all will get me one hundred Nazi scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred dead Nazis.” The strong energy from the basterds is seen from the rest of their team. Lt. Aldo Raine Played by Brad Pitt brings a comedic relief to balance the gory nature of the film, leaving the film feeling balanced and upbeat. 

One of the factors that makes Quentin Tarantino so distinguishable is his over exaggerated gore – his use of Candy Red blood and cables to have characters fly across the room when shot. The underlying comedic atmosphere makes the film a very enjoyable watch. Furthermore Tarantinos’ use of upward facing two shots to give a pov of what the characters are looking at creates a personal connection in the film and keeps the viewer stuck to the screen. Overall I would give this film a strong 9/10.