The Student News Site of Rhinebeck High School

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Rhinebeck Reality

Antisemitic Vandalism Persists at RHS

Antisemitic Vandalism Persists at RHS

On March 4 2024, a student discovered two swastikas drawn in chalk on the rim of a back window of room 104.

Principal Davenport was conducting a teacher observation in the classroom during the period of the hate speech’s discovery. The classroom was arranged for learning stations, and as students were moving around the room, one of them noticed the graffiti, notified the teacher, and the teacher told the student to tell Davenport.

Classes held in that room were moved for that day. A janitor came to remove the hate speech the next period. It is still unclear when these hate symbols were drawn on the wall. It could have been at any point this school year.

The next steps were to contact the police. Law enforcement opens a case file whenever there is an instance of hate speech.

Later in the day, students received an email from Mr. Davenport: “I want to state clearly and unequivocally that our school community rejects and condemns antisemitism in all of its forms, and that we will continue to work diligently to respond to acts of hatred through our Code of Conduct and through the continuing education of our students.”

A Recurring Issue

This isn’t the first incident at RHS. There have been three instances of hate speech within the past three years. In November of 2021, there were instances of gestures and antisemitic vandalism reported. The No Place For Hate committee advised by Mr. Frischknect was founded after this instance.

The No Place For Hate mission is to create a school environment that promotes acceptance, understanding, and doesn’t tolerate hatred towards any group. Two years ago, NP4H introduced students to the Pyramid. No Place For Hate brought in a 3rd generation Holocaust survivor, from 3GNY, to speak to students at RHS this past January.

No Place for Hate Co-President Laila Alam responded to Rhinebeck Reality after the discovery of the vandalism:

“On behalf of No Place for Hate, I would like to say that this is incredibly disheartening…At this point, I think the students that cause these incidents should be given reformative instruction. I am happy to see that Dr. Davenport and administration plan on taking further steps to address this…It is important to remember that these acts start at home, and hopefully teaching these kids individually will help them to value acceptance,” said Alam.

On April 30, in commemoration of Yom HaShoah students listened to first-person testimonies during an assembly and then reflected upon or applied what they’d learned during either a Social Studies or English class.

Davenport explained how this assembly was necessary because although most students understand that the swastika is a symbol of evil, there are still some who don’t understand the impact of antisemitic hate speech.

The Larger Context

In 2023, the Anti-Defamation League tracked a total of 8,873 antisemitic incidents across the United States. This is a 140% increase from 3,698 incidents counted in 2022 and the highest number they’ve had since they began tracking in 1979.

Following the terrorist attacks in Israel which occurred on October 7 2023, 5,204 incidents were tabulated and 52% of those referenced Israel, Palestine, or zionism. Incidents at K-12 schools increased by 135%.

It’s clear that our local issue of hate speech is happening in a much larger context. The continued war on Hamas has complicated issues on school campuses nationwide. In recent weeks, protests have been so huge the universities are unable to hold in-person classes.

How does anti-semitic behavior relate to anti-Israel protests? Some people associate the two and assume they are the same thing, but that is incorrect. Antisemitism means hostility to or prejudice against Jewish people. Anti-Israel views are often focused on not supporting Israel in the Israel-Hamas war.

Many people confuse the two, so they take out their anti-Israel views on the entire population of Jewish people; this increase in prejudice and hostility towards Jewish people could be why there has been such an increase in antisemitic hate speech.

It’s disheartening how the issue of antisemitism continues to live on in our school. If you are ever in a situation where you are witnessing someone being antisemitic, it’s your job to be a good bystander. Call them out and report it.

Anti Semitism will never not be a big deal.
Antisemitic Vandalism Persists at RHS

On March 4 2024, a student discovered two swastikas drawn on the wall of room 104. Mr. Davenport was observing the class during the period of the hate speech’s discovery. The classroom was arranged for learning stations, and as students were moving around the room, one of them noticed something on the wall.

On the inner rim of the back window there were two swastikas drawn with chalk. The student immediately notified the teacher, and the teacher told the student to tell Mr. Davenport.

The class continued on as normal, but the rest of the classes for that day were moved to a different room. A janitor came to remove the hate speech the next period. Luckily, no other hate speech could be found in the classroom. It is still unclear when these hate symbols were drawn on the wall. It could have been at any point this school year.

Later in the day, Rhinebeck High School students received a disheartening email from Mr. Davenport:

“I want to state clearly and unequivocally that our school community rejects and condemns antisemitism in all of its forms, and that we will continue to work diligently to respond to acts of hatred through our Code of Conduct and through the continuing education of our students.”

There have been many efforts made over the past years to show students the impact of hate speech.

“I want to be clear that we condemn acts of antisemitism, and we are dedicated to creating a culture of acceptance and understanding in our school.”

The next steps were to contact the police. Law enforcement gets involved whenever there is an instance of hate speech. They’ve opened up a case file and made a note that a report was made.

Before spring break, the Social Studies department each dedicated a class period to the topic of hate speech within school and why it violates the code of conduct. Hate speech is also a violation of the Dignity Act which is enforced across all NYS schools.

After break the next steps included bringing educational programming to all students. On April 30, a Holocaust Remembrance Day, and other programs will be put in place as well.

This isn’t the first incident at RHS. There have been 3 instances of hate speech within the past 3 years. In November of 2021 there were instances of gestures and antisemitic vandalism discovered in school that were reported.

The No Place For Hate committee advised by Mr. Frischknect was founded after this instance. Their mission is to create a school environment that promotes acceptance, understanding, and doesn’t tolerate hatred towards any group.

No Place For Hate actually brought in a 3rd generation Holocaust survivor, from 3GNY, to speak to students at RHS this past January.

This is the statement No Place for Hate gave out after the discovery of the Hate Speech.

“On behalf of No Place for Hate, I would like to say that this is incredibly disheartening. While I fully understand that cultural shifts take time, the NP4H committee has spent the past few years trying to educate our peers on the effects of antisemitism and discrimination in general. Two years ago, we discussed the Pyramid of Hate, last year we explained being a good by bystander (I am happy that students are using “delegate” to help solve these issues), and recently we had a third generation Holocaust survivor speak to us.”

“At this point, I think the students that cause these incidents should be given reformative instruction. I am happy to see that Dr. Davenport and administration plan on taking further steps to address this, and No Place for Hate certainly will continue to work towards acceptance. It is important to remember that these acts start at home, and hopefully teaching these kids individually will help them to value acceptance.”

On April 30, there was an educational program in commemoration of Yom HaShoah using materials from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Students listened to pre-recorded, first person testimonies during an assembly and then reflected upon or applied what they’d learned during either a social studies class.

Mr. Davenport explained how this assembly was necessary because although most students understand that the swastika is a symbol of evil, there are still some who don’t understand the impact of anti-semitic hate speech.

In the Israel-Hamas war, a total of 500,000 Israelis and 1,900,00 Palestinians within Gaza have been displaced. As of April 8 2024, over 34,000(33,091 Palestinian and 1,410 Israeli) people have been reported as killed.

Students are mainly being exposed to the Israel-Hamas war on social media. This is the main place where kids are exposed to current issues, and most of the information is biased.

Student newspapers are also calling out their college’s administrations for arresting protestors. In recent weeks, colleges have been called upon by congress to show they are properly and appropriately handling antisemitism to no longer allow it to continue.

The president of Harvard University was fired after being accused of not handling antisemitism on the campus seriously enough, so the president of Columbia University arrested peaceful pro Palestinian protestors. The protests have been so huge the universities are unable to hold in-person classes.

Students don’t know how to interpret this information. It’s clear that our local issue of hate speech is happening in a much larger context.

How does anti-semitic behavior relate to anti-Israel beliefs? A lot of people associate the two and assume they are the same thing, but that is incorrect. Antisemitism means hostility to or prejudice against jewish people. Anti-Israel views are more so focused on not supporting Israel in the Israel-Hamas war.

Many people confuse the two so they take out their anti-Israel views on the entire population of Jewish people; this increase in prejudice and hostility towards Jewish people is why there has been such an increase in antisemitic hate speech.

When talking about sensitive issues such as war, it’s best to think twice before speaking, writing, and/or typing your opinion. You never know how it will come across to other people.

It’s disheartening how the issue of antisemitism continues to live on in our school. If you are ever in a situation where you are witnessing someone being antisemitic, it’s your job to be a good bystander. Call them out and report it. Anti Semitism will never not be a big deal.