Little Shop of Horrors: A Change in Routine

Students+at+rehearsal+for+the+musical.+

Students at rehearsal for the musical.

Rhinebeck has always put on spectacular musicals in the past. Students who have worked on the show have become used to a certain way it was run with an in-house director and long and frequent practices from January through April. When the musical got closer, the practices would go longer, even as late as 10pm at night. When our director, Art teacher Ms. Baer, requested a year off, Rhinebeck High school went into a panic.

Ms. Wheeler
Feed me, Seymour!

Luckily, Kevin Archambault from the Rhinebeck’s Center for the Performing Arts stepped in. The musical was saved! But there were some adjustments to come, and these changes have been hard for some students. Elena Raccuia said, “People are freaking out because it’s different than what they’re used to.” Archambault is using a new system for rehearsals, a condensed schedule of five-weeks with a faster pace.

The Director is incredibly knowledgeable of the performing arts, but some performers are worried about feeling rushed and panicked once the actual show comes, which is quite soon. The beauty of Mary Poppins last year was that rehearsals were every day, and we had plenty of time to work on the numerous scenes and ensemble numbers. And Little Shop of Horrors is at a smaller scale with fewer major roles and more ensemble parts. Junior Nicole Prout said, “There are only eight main parts. And there are so many girls, including seniors, who wanted to be in the show that aren’t.”

Jonah Carleton, starring as Seymour in the musical, weighed in: “This is admittedly a much different process fro what we are used to. But that doesn’t mean it’s worse. Yes, we have fewer rehearsals, but they are extremely efficient. Yes, Kevin didn’t come to any vocal rehearsals, but he shouldn’t need to, he’s not teaching us the music. I understand that there are fewer parts, but we have yet to see all the different ways ensemble will be integrated in the show. I know Kevin is an expert at including everyone. We just have not had enough rehearsals yet to see that in action.”

The director himself explained that his schedule is fast paced because he finds that students fall behind on their studies. He believes his system reduces time wasted in rehearsal, so a block of intensive work is better than three months of pandemonium. Emphasizing the chance for comaraderie to form even in a short six-week period, Archimbault said, “What I always love saying to students at the end of 6 weeks – remember, you didn’t think this was possible.”

Life is full of change, and sometimes you have to simply adapt with that change. This year’s musical is another example of people becoming comfortable with change. For some students, this new format is difficult to stand behind. But hopefully they will adapt. The hard work is sure to pay off.