BMS Celebrates Madagascar Day 2022

Students learn cultural dances from Madagascar on the playground at CLS.

What’s better than a full day of school?

A half day!

What’s better than a half day?

A half day to learn and explore the cultures of Madagascar!

Every year for the past decade, BMS students look forward to Madagascar Day. Not only because it’s a half day but because it’s a chance to immerse themselves in Madagascar culture and give back to the community. 

Renowned anthropologist Pat Wright had a great idea. She wanted to bring the cultures of Madagascar to our small town of Rhinebeck. She approached Mr. Frischknecht and they started the great tradition of Madagascar day at BMS.   

“We tend to be in a space that is not exposed to different cultures,” said 7th grade teacher Mr. Frischknecht. 

“It is important for kids and adults to see how other people live… other people’s cultures, and the flora and fauna of these places.”

Each grade has a special activity on Madagascar Day.

The 6th graders have the incredible opportunity to meet and learn about lemurs. 

The 7th graders do art, dances, and even put on a puppet show all relating to Madagascar. A very special theatre group called Zara Aina comes in to teach the 7th graders all about Madagascar. The words “Zara Aina” in Malagasy means to “share life.”  Zara Aina focuses on sharing cultures with all different ages by acting and performing stories.

In the 8th grade the goal is to go into the community and spread awareness about Madagascar.

One group goes to the Montessori preschool to do crafts and stories. They also paint wooden spoons which is the main utensil used in Madagascar.

Another group goes to CLS to teach some cultural dances with a professional dancing group and also teach about deforestation. 

The last group makes colorful pictures of lemurs and hangs them up all around the village.

Madagascar day has become a beloved tradition at BMS. It is a great way to learn about other cultures that aren’t your own. 

Believe it or not, one day you will be in high school. When you are in high school, you might have the amazing opportunity to actually go to Madagascar and experience the incredible culture for yourself.