Therapy Dogs at RHS

Imagine you are about to take an exam. You are incredibly anxious about the outcome. While you walk solemnly to take your test, you see a dog. That dog is there for you to calm down and be at your best mindset for academic success.

Especially at RHS, grades and exams can be a burden.   One way to relieve that stress is the presence of a furry friend.  Imagine if this could be the reality of Rhinebeck High School.

Many struggle with looming deadlines and fragile grades. Rhinebeck provides as much support as they can for distressed students, but it’s hard for kids to ground themselves within all their chaos.

A growing trend in public schools is enlisting a certified therapy dog to reduce students’ stress.

Therapy dogs generally come to school with a handler, and the animal would be available for brief with interaction with students. According to the ASCD (Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development), “Petting a dog for even a few minutes can positively affect our brain chemistry…increasing oxytocin levels and reducing the stress hormone cortisol.”

A short break with man’s best friend could be a strong calming influence at Rhinebeck.

Mrs. Mustello, school employee, advocates for the school getting a therapy dog. According to Mustello, a lot of students are stressed, and teachers are constantly finding ways to support them and starting to use holistic methods to aid teen anxiety.  

The possibility of having a dog in school may seem distant and impossible, but with determination, it could be possible.